Bidfresh on sustainability
Maintaining a sustainable supply chain for us is paramount to the continued success of our business and the industry as a whole.
Each of our product categories has a raft of different issues to address. Examples of these are:
- A significant amount of seafood is wild caught which can lead to over fishing, unwanted by-catch and destructive catch methods.
- Meat, and in particular beef, consumes significant natural resources (land and water) and as a result of increased world wide consumption is putting significant pressure on certain natural habitats.
- Produce has a history of over fertilisation, extensive mono-cultures and over use of toxic pesticides which have and continue to damage eco-systems.
We take the view that we need to work within the industry to guide and influence, to nudge our customers and suppliers towards more sustainable methods of capture and production.
Our principles dictate that we:
- Seek third party independent accreditation wherever possible and give preference to suppliers that are accredited.
- We demand to know the source and origin of the products we sell and endeavour to shorten the supply chain wherever possible.
- We never knowingly sell products that damage the environment or risk the survival of a species without a plan to rectify the products sustainability credentials.
- We nudge our customers and suppliers to make more sustainable choices.
We do not believe that this process will ever stop. Nothing will ever be completely sustainable. We see this as a journey rather than a destination.